Sunday, May 13, 2012

Vanderlay's Amazing and Unofficial Statement


    • Ryan VanderLey Artist statement

      Songs from the charts are played, on repeat, until the seasons pass and it's time to change ringtones again. 'Open-mindedness' is abnormal and strange. “Stranger” is any other person who walks the same streets as 'us'...”Us” is how I talk about myself. Or “me” I mean. And the best place to find individuality is on the metro, when we're surrounded by 15 girls all wearing the same scarf or pair of fake Ray Ban glasses. It’s so interesting to learn that what we've learnt is completely wrong (for now); at least until 'learning' becomes a trend, and its endorsed by someone cool. Growing from our mistakes is very uncool though; like admitting we all have unique perspectives in life.
      Schizophrenia is seen as a synonym to open mindedness, where both words are “strangers”. Insecurities should control the decisions that we make because “control” keeps societies growing. I see my research the same way as being in an open kitsch relationship with my own surroundings. It’s funny how perverse that sounds when I consider all the cross-cultural contradictions around me. Perspectives are the most important things that I can offer my audience and I want to show them how relative concepts can be, and how important it is to treat learning as a ongoing conversation.
  • 10 minutes ago
    Michael Roy
    • Boomstick. I like it. Sounds like it'd do you good to get out of the city for a bit.
  • 6 minutes ago
    Michael Roy
    • Perspective is the only thing you can offer your audience, and i feel like art making is just souvenir making for ongoing learning the artist is breaking waters on. I'm glad you talk so much about consumerism and societies role, because while art constantly talks about it, artists seem to negate the fact that popular trends and aesthetics in high art are controlled by the same mechanisms
  • A few seconds ago
    Michael Roy
    •  art making is for the present, a mental calisthenic for the artist to keep learning, apprehending, and redistributing. I don't know what the audience gets from this, other than hopefully a motive to do it themselves. Communication in art seems far fetched, but I do hope for an impetus for awareness. And maybe that takes something jarring.

No comments:

Post a Comment